Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sullivan Canyon

The other day, my husband and I discovered Sullivan Canyon trail, which is nicely shaded by willows, sycamore and oak trees and follows a seasonal creek.

As we hiked, we encountered numerous mountain bikers, so we constantly heard "on your left" or "on your right." We even saw a group riding what I would describe as mountain-bike unicycles, which are unicycles with rough-terrain tires.

For me, the best part of the 7.5-mile round-trip hike was finding a tree swing in a shaded grove to the right of the trail in the first half mile, and a rope swing a little further down the trail on the left-hand side. We had so much fun swinging on them that I felt like a kid again!

Directions: From the 405 Freeway, exit on Sunset going towards the beach, turn right on Mandeville Canyon, left on Westridge Road, left on Bayless, and left on Queensferry Road. There is parking, but it is limited, so read the signs carefully.